Saturday, October 4, 2014

edge of tomorrow

I am not a fan of Tom Cruise, but I do love Emily Blunt. The edge of tomorrow was sort of a weird version of groundhog day. When the movie first started I thought it was gonna be one of those typical 'explosion explosion explosion' movies and nothing more. But it turned out pretty good. It even had an element of comedy to it which surprised me. SPOILERS UP AHEAD so STOP reading if you haven't seen the movie.

I loved how they developed the movie as TC kept dying and re-spawning at the same point every time, and I found it hilarious how Emily blunt kept using him as a reset button. The movie doesn't go too deep into any character development, not even TC. We see a little bit of insight into TC & EB as they spend a little bit of time together, (not that she remembers anyway). I felt like I was just thrown into the movie with no back story, but I suppose no back story was really needed. The Aliens were pretty awesome but more robot like than alien. Predictably, when Emily Blunt said that she lost her 're-spawning powers' when she landed herself in hospital and got a blood transfusion, that TC would end up in the same situation to give a difficult 'twist' to the situation after being able to constantly reset every time they got into trouble. You have to be paying attention to realize the reason why this started happening is because TC died covered in the blood of the alpha that he killed. Emily blunt was a hard ass in this one and she definitely worked out for this movie, you can see she's pretty ripped. That was all the good bits. Now the ending, I did not like. I felt like it built and built and built up to the climax and then it all just ended so quickly. Like it simply just happened and then it was over. And conveniently he died covered in the blood of the alpha again and it took him back all the way to the start, no one remembered him, everyone was alive again, and they had defeated the aliens. Yup. Shitty ending if you ask me. But the majority of the movie made up for the lousy ending, so I still say it's definitely worth a watch.




No comments:

Post a Comment